PETITION: We Demand Justice for the People & the Planet
CLICK HERE TO SIGN THE PETITION DEMANDING JUSTICE FOR THE PEOPLE & THE PLANET AT THE UN CLIMATE TALKS IN PARIS, DECEMBER 2015 Throughout the Global South and in many part of the US, frontline communities are already facing the devastating impacts of governmental climate inaction. Our communities are impacted daily by oil spills, oil refinery pollution, the dirty air from the waste incinerators, and the production of fossil based chemicals. We are enduring the impacts of floods on one coast and drought on another, and from the destruction of land, air and water by tar sands extraction and Hydraulic Fracturing (Fracking). For over 20 years we have been pushing for real action, and global leaders have been promising a new climate agreement through the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) Conference Of Parties (COP) meetings. This December at the COP21 in Paris, a global climate agreement is anticipated and falls far short of the actions needed to avoid global climate catastrophes. Inadequate action and false solutions will result in extreme consequences for the planet that will have notably disproportionate impact on the peoples of the Global South, as well as working class communities, communities of color, and indigenous and marginalized peoples living on the frontlines of the escalating climate crisis. Join with Grassroots Global Justice Alliance and the It Takes Roots to Weather the Storm delegation, and sign the petition calling on President Obama, Secretary of State John Kerry, and US lead negotiator Todd Stern to make binding commitments in response to both science and the demands of frontline communities to:
- Establish mandatory--not voluntary--emissions cuts at the source
- Leave fossil fuels in the ground
- Reject Fracking, Nuclear Power, Carbon Markets, and other dangerous technologies and false solutions
- Strengthen the inclusion of human rights and particularly the rights of Indigenous Peoples
- Support Community-Rooted Solutions; including regional and local economic structures that support the production of renewable energy
- We are working to gather thousands of signatures from frontline communities and our supporters to pressure the US delegation leading up to the COP21 in Paris
- Every time a person signs our petition on-line, an email is automatically sent to President Obama, Secretary of State John Kerry, and the US Lead Negotiator Todd Stern, calling for their action in support of our full demands.
- In addition to this petition campaign, there will be a series of actions and events before and following the mobilizations in Paris. Sign up to stay involved!
Join us in action throughout the fall on the Road to Paris and beyond! ggjalliance.org