GGJ Seeking Bookkeeper
Posted on Tue, 08/27/2013 - 11:58am
GRASSROOTS GLOBAL JUSTICE ALLIANCE
BOOKKEEPER JOB ANNOUNCEMENT
Job Title: Bookkeeper/Accounting Manager
Position: Part Time Contract, 6-12 Hours Per Month, depending on work flow.
Location: Philadelphia, PA strongly preferred; open to other locations if good fit
Applications Due: Tuesday, September 3, 2013.
Start Date: Monday, September 30, 2013.
Grassroots Global Justice (GGJ) is a national alliance of grassroots organizations building a popular movement for peace, democracy and a sustainable world. Alliance members support each other's local struggles and collaborate with international allies committed to building a transformative social justice movement beyond borders. Staff are based in several cities around the US. For more about Grassroots Global Justice Alliance (GGJ), visit our website here: www.ggjalliance.org.
Grassroots Global Justice Alliance is seeking a Bookkeeping/Accounting Manager knowledgeable in QuickBooks, Non-Profit IRS Returns (990), and Data Entry. Position requires ability to process accounts payable and receivable related transactions, bank deposits, and strong technical and organizational skills. Person must be trustworthy and available to communicate by both email and phone. This position reports directly to the Development & Communications Coordinator and to the National Coordinator as needed.
- Check mail and make bank deposits every 1-2 weeks depending on volume.
- Maintain thorough and accurate record of bank deposits in database, Quickbooks and paper files.
- Maintain thorough and accurate record of all outgoing payments in Quickbooks.
- Track and maintain invoice files including accounts payable and accounts receivable, in Quickbooks and paper files.
- Monthly reconcile payroll reports, bank statements and credit card statements in Quickbooks.
- Prepare invoices for bi-monthly (every 2 weeks) check cycle.
- Prepare quarterly budget reports including profit & loss, budget vs actuals and balance sheet for staff and board review.
- Prepare all accounting files and reconciliation work-papers for annual tax return and audit.
- Work with accountant to provide information for annual 990 and other forms related to 501c3 status.
- Track and complete filing requirements for states where GGJ operates.
- Maintain archives of permanent accounting and corporate files.
- Maintain Quickbooks software by updating when necessary.
- Provide other accounting services as may be requested from time to time.
NOTE: Bookkeeper may perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
- Knowledge of office procedures, experience in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), QuickBooks Pro, data entry, accounting and general math skills required. Experience with PowerBase or other civiCRM database platforms preferred but not necessary.
- BA degree or Community College certificate in accounting with equivalent of at least 2+ years of accounting or bookkeeping work.
- Commitment to work 1-3 hours a week regularly, and up to 8-10 hours a week during audit or other high volume period
- Familiar with general accounting procedures, principals, and financial tracking systems for 501c3 nonprofit organizations
- Ability to work independently, be detailed oriented, prioritize own work, and communicate clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing.
- Understanding of the vision and goals of GGJ is preferable.
Compensation: $15-$20/hr, commensurate with experience.
People of color, women, queer folks, and trans and gender non-conforming people, strongly encouraged to apply.
To Apply: Resumes will only be accepted electronically. Please email a cover letter, resume and three references to Sha Grogan-Brown, Development & Communications Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include a listing of accounting software you have experience with in your cover letter or resume.