Start date projected for September 2021
Applications Due: August 6, 2021, or until filled.
Flexible Location within the United States. GGJ’s team has worked remotely for 15 years. During COVID-19 travel restrictions, all of our programming and organizing work is happening remotely/online. Once travel is not deemed a public health risk and restrictions are lifted, travel will be required for this position on average 5-10 days per quarter in the US, and 5-10 days per year internationally. While the position is fully remote, employee must be based in the United States.
Compensation: $70,000-$73,000. This position is full-time with potential for long term based on evaluation after a 3 month introductory period. Benefits including medical, dental, vision and life insurance begin on the first month after date of hire; 50% child medical insurance benefit available. 401K after one year of employment. Generous PTO and vacation. Additional remote work benefits offered.
Grassroots Global Justice Alliance (GGJ) is an alliance of over 65 member organizations.
GGJ is organizing to build an agenda for power for Black, Indigenous, Latinx, Asian, Pacific Islander and working class white communities. We understand that there are important connections between the local issues we work on and the global context, and we see ourselves as part of an international movement for global justice. GGJ focuses on bringing grassroots organizations (GRO) into a long-term process of relationship building, political alignment and the development of transformational leadership, particularly for working class women and gender-oppressed Black, Indigenous, Latinx, Asian and Pacific Islander people. We weave and bridge together US-based GRO groups and global social movements working for climate justice, gender justice, an end to war, and a just transition to a new economy that is better for people and the planet. For more about GGJ, visit our website: http://ggjalliance.org
Position Summary: This position will lead financial management, human resources and non-profit compliance for GGJ, our sibling c4 organization GGJ Action Fund (GGJAF), and our fiscally sponsored project It Takes Roots (ITR). This position will report to and work closely with the GGJ Deputy Director, participate in the GGJ & ITR Finance Teams and manage contracts with GGJ & ITR Bookkeepers. This position is a Full-Time, exempt position.
Applicants must have a strong ability to build relationships with integrity and humility, work independently, forecast and plan multiple projects several months in advance, attention to detail as well as big picture systems analysis, and consistent communication while working remotely.
Lead Financial Management for GGJ, GGJAF & ITR (Approx 50%)
- Lead Finance & HR Teams for GGJ, GGJAF & ITR
- Manage payments in and out on a bi-weekly basis
- Maintain payroll and tax reports
- Lead financial reconciliations and annual audit
- Lead participatory budgeting process annually
- Oversee fiscal sponsorship of It Takes Roots
Lead Human Resources & Non-Profit Compliance (Approx 40%)
- Lead Human Resources management
- Lead Non-Profit Compliance
- Maintain internal digital HR systems, stay informed about developments in information technological platforms or security measures and propose/implement adaptations of HR systems as appropriate.
Participate in GGJ team (Approx 10%)
- Active and timely response on all communications (email, phone, texts, messaging apps)
- Attend weekly virtual meetings with staff, members and allies.
- Participate in and support preparation for quarterly in-person staff meetings, annual Coordinating Committee meetings, and other events as necessary.
- Compliance with GGJ remote working policies and procedures (calendaring, availability online, response time to communications, receipts, etc.)
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in Human Resources and Financial Management in non-profit sector and/or Black & Brown led social justice organizations.
- Political alignment with GGJ’s mission of grassroots internationalism.
- Experience in multi-racial, multi-generational, multi-cultural settings.
- Knowledge in compliance with federal, state, and local employment /EEO laws.
- Demonstrated understanding of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion practices.
- Significant knowledge and experience in accounting, budgeting, and financial analyses.
- Ability to deliver transparent financial infrastructure, from budgeting to reporting and compliance.
- Knowledge of common computer applications: MS Office, Google docs, Dropbox, and Zoom video tele-conferencing systems.
- Familiarity with financial and HR management systems such as Quickbooks, BambooHR, payroll processing, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to partner with senior management to achieve organizational objectives.
- Ability to work remotely, manage multiple work tasks, maintain attention to detail and accuracy, and meet the pressure of deadlines in a fast-paced, collaborative work environment.
- Flexibility and positive attitude, solution-oriented and ability to move forward.
- Effective strategic planning, program evaluation and project management skills.
- Ability to support a team-oriented environment; commitment to democratic participation.
- Willingness to travel (when permissible according to COVID-19 travel restrictions): average 5-10 days per quarter in the US and optional international travel for political development.
- Ability to occasionally work flexible hours (evenings and weekends), including communicating with allies in other parts of the world in different time zones.
- Familiarity with relationship between 501c3 and 501c4 organizations, and managing fiscal sponsorships.
- Ability to read, write and speak other languages besides English, preferably Spanish or Portuguese.
- Driver’s license and liability insurance.
Please prepare a Resume, cover letter, a sample of a financial management plan or Human Resources plan that you have created from previous work, and 3 references (please include someone who has supervised you and someone you have supervised or mentored).
Please submit your application here: https://ggj.bamboohr.com/jobs/. Click on “Apply for this Job” at the top right-hand corner.
Black, Indigenous, Latinx, Arab, API people, women, femmes, queer folks, trans and non-binary people strongly encouraged to apply. Only candidates that are being considered will be contacted; please do not email.